Busy days can still make a healthier cut!


I have had several really busy days lately, which always pose the most challenges for eating healthy, don't they? I am just like every mom and would MUCH rather default to driving through for French fries and burgers on many many days! :)

...And that is definitely OKAY on some days...can we say Five Guys?! YUM! I miss my California 'In n Out' Burger too, people!! If you live in California, eat some animal fries for me...moment of silence...

With this...I just make spaghetti with mostly French style green beans as our 'noodles,' mixed in with a little bit of pasta.

If I keep a few easy staples in my pantry for those busy days, I am much more likely to come home and make up a quick something if I know I have easy pantry items available. This pasta sauce is not the healthiest on the planet, I get that. But it is only $1 to $1.50 depending on where you shop and it is still better than stopping for fast food! Plus this one is relatively low in sugar and has a savory taste, not sweet--which we prefer. (I add little bits of it to soup I make as well, which add a zing of flavor easily.)

Of course crock pot meals are ideal for these days too! I'll post some of those soon. But on days you just didn't get it together in the morning with a crock pot meal, here is a quick 30 minute meal.

Instead of just sauce and pasta, I use some French style green beans--they cook in only a few minutes--and mix in with the pasta. Keep some whole grain or brown rice pasta on hand.

- Brown some ground meat of your choice
- Drain fat if needed
- Add the can of sauce to your meat (to pull up those yummy brown bits on the pan)
- Leave sauce on low to simmer
- In the meantime, turn on some water to boil for your pasta
- Cook the French style green beans till they are soft, but still have a bit of crunch and drain
   (literally just a couple minutes to cook)
- Season green beans with some salt, pepper, butter, onion powder and a touch of garlic powder
- When pasta finishes, drain and toss your green beans with your pasta
    (I usually have more of the green beans and a small amount of pasta.)
- Plate with noodle/green bean mix first
- Top with meat sauce and a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Toss the noodle mix first if you think your kids will freak out seeing the green beans.
   (Spaghetti Sauce covers up those veggies.) 😜

Quick and easy! And French style green beans make a quick and easy swap out for a giant pile of noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment