Lending a Spiritual Helping Hand...


I Corinthians 10:23-24 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth."

Paul was a grown man who, in actuality, could have done anything he wanted. He could have rationalized adding many things to his life that were not necessarily sinful or wrong.

However, Paul realized that a wise Christian will look past the present to the effects of the future and the affect our decisions may have on the life of another.

To edify means to instruct or benefit, especially morally or spiritually; uplift.

Before we decide to do something we should think about whether or not it will uplift or benefit our life and the lives of others around us.

Verses 31-33 say, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."

EVERYTHING I do should bring glory to God. It shouldn't just qualify as "not being bad," but it should bring glory to the name of God.

The mark of a mature Christian is making our decisions based on whether they bring glory to God and build others rather than searching for a reason to justify that our actions are not wrong.

Before making a decision, I must ask myself the question...Does it build my life AND the lives of others around me?

Thanks, God, for this great reminder today!

No comments:

Post a Comment